District Information & Events
Local Lodges & Events
Superior Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 672 G.R.C.
HISTORY OF THE FORMATION OF SUPERIOR LODGE No. 672
First Masonic activity of a local nature in this district, to be the best of our knowledge is contained in the report by R.W. Bro. J. W. Maunder. D.D.G.M. of Algoma District, which is recorded in the Grand Lodge Proceedings 1934 as follows:
“The Masons resident at Hydro (Cameron Falls) recently organized a “Harmony Club,” by which the spirit of Masonry in Hydro is kept in an active condition. The Hydro Electric Power Commission, last fall, very gracefully gave its consent to allow the members of Harmony Club to construct a club house for their use on the Hydro Electric property and I believe, as soon as the Club House is completed, a request will be made to have a Lodge of Instruction meet there to assist the members, and brush them up on the work. The majority of the members of the club belong to Lodges located at the Head of the Lakes.”
The next step taken towards a Masonic Lodge was the organizing of the “Ionic Club” at Nipigon, at a later date the “Square Circle Social Club” at Red Rock.
A joint meeting of “Ionic Club” and “Square Circle Social Club” was held at the school house on the five mile road, mid-way between the Trans-Canada highway and Red Rock, on April 24th, 1952, with twenty-nine Masonic brethren present. It was decided at this meeting, that the school house could be made suitable for a lodge room, and that every effort should be put forth to establish a Lodge.
Several members petitioned the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario, for permission to form a Masonic Lodge using the school house as Lodge room. Permission being granted, the building was secured on a rental basis, and volunteer labour by the brethren soon had the building ready for occupancy as a Lodge room.
Furnishing of the Lodge was accomplished to a great extent through the generous donations of sister Lodges and other Masonic brethren, some of whom are far distant from this jurisdiction. Several items of furniture which had been used in the Harmony Club are now treasured possessions, in our Lodge room.
On October 22nd, 1952, Superior Lodge U.D., A.F. & A.M., G.R.C. was instituted, R.W. Bro. Morley H. Thompson, D.D.G.M. of Algoma District presiding, with district Lodges well represented.
On September 11th, 1953, Most Worshipful Brother J. A. Hearn, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario, assisted by R.W. Bro. E. G. Dixon, Grand Secretary, R.W. Bro. George J. McQueen, Supervisor of Benevolence, of Grand Lodge, R.W. Bro. A. V. Chapman, D.D.G.M. of Algoma District, R.W. Bro. O. F. Young, R.W. Bro. C. Goodeve, R.W. Bro. Morley Thompson, R.W. Bro. H. S. Chase, Bro. Rev. R. A. Peden, W. Bro. Howard Young, W. Bro. McCormack, R.W. Bro. D. Lanktree, R.W. Bro. A. B. Pow, W. Bro. Dave Watson, W. Bro. George Everest, W. Bro. A. McEwan, W. Bro. H. A. Brunwin, W. Bro. R. Addison and W. Bro. J. A. MacDonald conducted the ceremonies of Dedicating, Constituting and Consecrating the Lodge and presented the Charter, naming the Lodge, Superior Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 672, G.R.C.
On September 30th, 1953, the building was purchased from the Improvement District of Red Rock; this was financed by the brethren.